This saddens me to even have to write this, but a fellow transsister, Krissy Bates, was found dead in her Minneapolis apartment on January 11th around 3pm; she had been murdered. A 40-year-old male suspect has been arrested for her murder.
She was the first murder victim of this year in Minneapolis, and to my knowledge, the first transperson to be murdered this year in the US. She will be honored on Transgender Day of Remembrance in November.
The US isn't the only place transpeople, especially transwomen, are victimized. Killings of women, especially transgender women, has been on the rise in Honduras, according to vivirlatino.com.
In the last four weeks the bodies of five transgender women in Honduras have been found. The murder of women, especially transgender women, has been on the rise following the June 28, 2009 coup. According to the International Gay & Lesbian Human Rights Commission, prior to the most recent murders, there have been 31 deaths of LGBTI people in Honduras in the last year and a half.
Violence against transpeople has to stop - there is a need for awareness and education; that is why I remain visible and do what I do.
Resources & Information
- Transguys.com- The Internet's Premier Online Magazine for Transmen
- The Art of Transliness: Advice on Life for the Modern Transman
- Hudson's FTM Guide
- The Transitional Male
- T-Vox: Comprehensive Resources for the Trans Community
- Transbucket: Photosharing for the Trans Community
- Trans Health: Health & Fitness for Trans People
- FTM-trans Yahoo Group
- FTM Surgery Info Yahoo Group
- FTM: Scouting the Unknown